I want to start keto but my Dr advice me not and I’m on metformin and Bromocriptine but am IR and I have black neck and black laps even my armpit can any one help with any other fertility drug, also what vitamins and supplement can I used. Am bloating even as I’m try on low carbs and veg please I really need an encouragement from you all sisters.
- Multivitamin to begin with. Took women formula from gnc then switched to another brand. I dont think i can live without it as it has been such a tremendous help in my overall being.
Not all carbs and veggies are made equal. For example, cabbage. I can take cabbage as much and not feeling gassy or bloated. But my brother, if he ate too much cabbage, he will feel bloated. It may hv to do with blood type? I checked it out once the diet by blood type and for him, being a type O, cabbage n cauliflower does not go well with his body while i am a type A, any veggies are okay with me.
Whereas for carbs, i been replacing my rice (being an asian, rice is just a daily staple) with sweet potatoes or casava roots. Usually i would just steamed them and eat it together with some protein n veggies during lunch time. U mite wanna research for carbs that are low in GI.
I start my day with 5-6 egg whites scrambled with very lil oil with side veggies or soup. Low carb lunch and protein shake for dinner.
Did the dr gv u reason why u cant do keto tho? Coz many ladies in this group reported success with it. Not that i am encouraging u to do it, but just plain curious on why.
- No he did not tell me the reason not to do keto.
- Thanks so much I will try the sweet potatoes but I though is very high in carbs.
- The blood type diet has been debunked.
- I dont exactly follow it per se, but i found some stuff works for me n my brother.
- Yes, hi in carb so i eat very lil of it . Prolly around 3-4oz max a day. It may be sweet but for some reason got low gi.
- Try keto.
- But my Dr says if am ttc I should not that its has its own side effect.
- It might make you sick for the first few days (to a week) as your body adjusts… and you may not be able to stay on it WHILE pregnant. But it very well might be that extra push you need to be ABLE to conceive.
- Keto is healthy. Complete.
- Please can you help explain more about the keto for PCOS.
- Keto is extreme low carb. (20g or less per day). Lots of meats and veggies (minus carby ‘veggies’ like potatoes).
- Most of us are insulin resistant. Meaning we have a hard time appropriately dealing with carbs in our diet. It causes us to over produce insulin. Excess insulin causes the dark spots you mentioned (acanthosis nigricans). It also can cause excess testosterone. The excess testosterone can throw other hormones off kilter and halt ovulation. No ovulation, no baby.
- You said you are already low carb, but you might not be low ENOUGH for your body.
- It’s worth a try.
- Wendy what did you do for sugar cravings. I’m currently in keto.
- Fat bombs are great. I’ve made choc mug ‘cake’ before. It’s made with eggs and no flour. It’s interesting but gets the job done.I’m not perfect. I totally had ice cream yesterday at my parents. And that’s ok. I cut out all potatoes and pastas and lost a tremendous amount of weight! I was 185 pounds and got down to 143! But I was also detailing cars in 110+ degree weather so I sweated my butt off and drank tons of Powerade and Gatorade. But idk if you are religious or not my husband and I fasted from those foods for a few months and then 2 months later I was pregnant!
- I cut out all pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, sugars, anything in a box, I eat high protein and I drink a gallon of water a day. I also work out 2 hours a day. I have lost about 35 pounds. You can do this!!! Keep yours of motivated by doing it for you!!! Not anyone else. Love yourself and remember it’s not going to happen over night! It’s hard work but well worth it!
- What did u do for sugar cravings?
- I still have fruit if I want something sweet just not a lot with cool whip Cool whip only has 2 carbs per 2 tablespoons. Also I don’t know why but ever since I started eating super healthy and stuff if I even try to eat something that’s bad like I had a starburst my son gave me it taste gross. Kinda like my taste buds changed. In the beginning it was hard. Now it’s easy cause all the bad stuff is gross tasting and makes me sick if I eat it.
- I have cut out all pasta, rice, bread even sugar but drink milk a little and honey.
- I use a yoga ball for winter exercise and walk when it is nice enough, Btw 37 weeks pregnant with a boy.
- And dont forget to do some kind of exercise. I am doing t-tapp exercise by teresa tapp. Some moves are available on youtube and hoe down is one of the best to bust the sugar level.
- Angelyn I don’t really know the type of exercise but I do walk some miles every other day.
- Any kind of exercise is always better than nothing.
- I used vitex and it helped me to regulate my hormones. After about a year on it I had my blood tested and my pcos had improved which helped in weight loss.
- Whats is this medication?
- It stimulates the pituitary gland to help regulate hormones.
- Do low carb then if not keto, I don’t count carbs just keep them low and I have lost 50 pounds. And preggers with a surprise after my birthday.
- Look, I switched to eating more whole grains and, using vitamins with my metformin. I just started the cinnamon tablets and, I actually think they are working. But, the reality is that yes, keto is fast to lose weight and kudos to those who can. I was also advised against keto (I tried it too… I ended up passing out after 3 days). Whole grains works for me. I have lost 10 lbs in 2 months. It’s not as fast but, I have been told it is easier to maintain. I cut my carbs and I make sure I take in complex carbs. I have a soda on my cheat day… it’s not fast but my mother swears it is easier to maintain than any other diet. She says the biggest drawback is that it’s slow. If you do keto successfully, kudos to you. Eating brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread, and having those in moderation, while adding in more fruits and veggies, you will make progress. Metformin didn’t help me lose lots of weight like I saw from others but, I am being much more careful about how I eat now. I wish you the best of luck!
- I will surely try that.
- Can go for taurine capsules as supplement.. once daily. Have green tea. Consume fiber foods.do work outs.. can expect positive outcome.
- Metformin will help with the black ring around the neck.
- Are you sure but i have been takibgnit for three months now.
- Metformin does not work for everyone and i come to believe that each of us, tho we may be labeled as someone with pcos .. yet very unique (as one thing may or may not work with our body).
- Ultimately (what really worked for me, sans medication incl the metformin), total lifestyle change. No more processed food.. diary.. soy.. starches (bread n pasta).. carbs (white rice).. sugar (white/brown/anything).. soda ..
- Only eat simple unprocessed food.. organic (as much as i can).. portion control.. Plus supplements (this help me a ton coz it balance the craving in my body) Low impact exercise and i splurge time to time whenever an occasion rises.. but moderately.. just did not eat like there is no tomorrow.
- From all these changes, i got, regular period, better mental health, less sluggish, clearer brown marking (some disappear) , no more skin tags around neck area and losing some weight as bonus. I still hv to deal with facial hair (which i plugged religiously) and that about it.
- Maybe take some probiotics to decrease the bloating.
- Don’t even forget that.. 😊 we’re always here for you..
- Try Ovasitol or OvaBoost, they both contain Myo Inositol which works wonder for pcos, I have the same issues with bloating and the darkening of skin, I feel for ya!
- Ovasitol is not shipped to Nigeria and I don’t know how to get.
- Have at least 8 glasses of water a day that really helped me with the bolting…also no fizzy drinks coke diet coke too.
Inositol (part of the b vit family)
A good probiotic
To the ladies taking over the counter vitamins and meds to control their pcos.. what do you use? I’ve been taking metformin since last April and I feel it hasn’t done anything for me so I’d like to stop. I’d like to know what kind of stuff I can take together.. I currently take a prenatal and I’ve been using vitex for 4 weeks now. I’d like to try progesterone or insitol of some sort. Any recommendations and is it safe to use all together?
- I’m currently taking inositol and vitex.
- You may not notice any changes outwardly with metformin as it works at a cellular level. Has your insulin levels or A1c levels improved? If so then metformin is doing its job. Uncontrolled insulin resistance will eventually lead to diabetes and that has its own list of issues. As far as vitamins go they will only help if your lacking them. I would suggest having your dr check your levels.
- I read the book 8 Steps to Reverse Your PCOS which was all about reversing PCOS naturally where possible. It’s a great resource to learn more about supplements. I take quite a few but the ones that I think make the most difference are berberine, zinc and a probiotic.
- I’ve been using this. I want to find something to go along with it.
So I’m making the switch to low fat , dairy free and gluten free food as best as I can, I’m adding soy protein powder to boost my protein intake, . I have a bad back so exercise at the moment is very very limited but at the same time I have to loose weight and exercise to improve everything about this aweful condition .
I came off the metformin because I was tired of not bieng able to go to far without a bathroom attack 😕 I know I don’t have as bad symptoms as a lot of others, but I’m at the biggest I’ve ever been and feel so grotesque I don’t want to leave the house… so getting back on track…did anyone else try this type of diet and actually see results? TIA X
- Healthy fats aren’t your bad guy. Large amounts of carbs are. If your cutting gluten then your not gonna have much of a energy source and your body may store everything it takes in.
- Il be eating protein such as grilled chicken, fish, quinoa and nuts and vegetables aswell, I just need something that’s going to help because I lose it so slowly x
- I’ve been doing Keto- Low carb/high fat/med protein since Jan 2nd. I have lost 10lbs and I know inches though I haven’t measured. I feel better than I have in years. Still a long way to go but I know I’ll get there with Keto.
- Kelly that’s really good going well done! May I ask what fats your eating? Isit like olive oil etc? X
- Unsalted butter, coconut oil, avocado, olive oil etc
- Yes! Keto! Me too!
- Me three only thing that’s worked and I’ve tried everything!!
- Yes me four! Lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks! And the food is so tasty, you eat feeling full and don’t get hungry, love it.
- Can I ask what this is? And how to do it please xxx
- Google Ketogenic diet. You should be able to find a lot of good info.
- Thanks ladies your so good I’m excited to try it x
- As far as exercise, maybe exercises would be a starting point?
- Manna I never thought of trying exercise from a sitting position 🙈 Thankyou so so much for this x
- No problem! Its a big challenge for me too. Im recently out of my wheelchair, but still not walking fully on my own… ive gained alot of weight in the last few months so ive been trying to find things that work for me.
- I know I’m not at a point that I need help much anymore, but I’m so wary of hurting myself again. But these are fantastic , I way more now than I did full term nearly 5 years ago. I can’t stand to look at my body from the neck down I just burst into tears x
- I don’t know if you use it or not but I found Pinterest to be really helpful with finding exercises that accommodate my situation.
- Ive never tried keto diet, but I am trying to go more plant-based and natural. And I found a lot of useful information on Pinterest as far as nutritional information and dieting also.
- I’m in Pinterest this very second looking up recipes lol..I recently moved to stevia sweetener because it’s more natural , I’m getting conscious that my body is dealing with so much inside that i need to release the pressure by taking out as many processed things as I can x
- Take a multivitamin just to make sure your getting enough otherwise you could end up tired and lethargic or even ill. Cook with coconut oil. Try swimming if you have a bad back it is brilliant exercise even if you just walked up and down the pool the resistance will work your muscles out x
- I’m literallly making a shopping list while talking to you all your fab Thankyou so much x
- Have you tried swimming?? Very low impact
- I used to but the physio held me off until I was abit stronger, which I am now x so definitely on the to do list x
- Everyone had great advice 💜 I’m proud of you for taking initiative of your health! I am now off my Metformin due to lifestyle changes. Good luck with this journey
- It’s nice knowing I have a place where people understand , I’ve dieted in the past and the weight wasn’t shifting and people would say ..well you must be cheating it’s impossible to not lose weight doing a b or c…but I wasn’t cheating 😕…so I’m feeling confident when others have said this type of healthy eating working for them x
- Totally! I found what works for me too. People are different and others just don’t understand that.
- Be careful with soy products if you have a thyroid issue. That was one of the first things I was told to cut from my daughter’s diet when we found out her thyroid wasn’t functioning properly.
- Also please consider a different protein source than soy. Try Vega! Its vegan,low carb,low sugar etc. I love it!
- Vega? I’ve never heard of that will look for it.
- Whey isolate is better for pcos because soy can raise estrogen levels.
- Also- I had to try several different brands of metformin. Ask the pharmacist. Sometimes just a little bit different formulation makes a big difference
- I didn’t know this about metformin! Thanks.
- Someone told me earlier that when she took metformin with a probiotic, it stopped her diarrhea. I think you should give it a second try with a probiotic if you can’t work out. I’m going to try it myself. I will let everyone know if it works. But, mostly, the metformin doesn’t always give me diarrhea. Just sometimes. Your body might process it differently as pcos is different for everyone.
- I ve read several articles that soy is not good. Especially for people with pcos.
- I have read that soy makes it difficult for conceive either now or further down the line. Maybe you want to look into that.
- Women Health (Astro Research on PCOS ,cyst ,Harmonal & Problem in Concive )
- In my experience the bathroom trips became less frequent the longer I was on metformin. It also depended on what I was eating. If your eating all crap thats going to happen. I make sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Try to stay away from fried and other fatty foods and refined sugars (candy, cake, soda is the worst).
- I’m definatly going to give the metformin a go, I think I just get so stubborn and want my body to work how it’s meant to that I don’t see reason, I switched to almond milk today and getting another protein at the weekend x
I don’t know if i should ask here or not, but i recently started back up on Metformin (as i also was diagnosed with diabetes type 2) I am left feeling dizzy, heart pounding (enough that you can visibly see my chest bouncing, it has me quite unnerved), headaches etc.
Had anyone else here gotten dizzy and heart pounding symptoms from the metformin?
Last time i was on them, they didnt do this, but i know medicin makes us react diffrent, so i figured i’d ask before i started freaking out too much.
(my heart isnt racing, its between 70-90 bpm which is okay-ish according to my doc)
- You started on a too high of a dosage… Same thing happened to me.
- It’s a low dose, 1 pill a day, dont even think they come in smaller doseages than the ones i got? 500mg a day
- What are you on? I was able to get 250 and cut them in half.
- Just Metformin 500 mg
- I’m following doctors orders by taking just 1 a day for now, eventually, because of my diabetes, i need to take three times as much, two in the morning, twice at evening. But so far, its only 1 a day. It’s just really uncomfortable, the pounding heart is the worst, the rest i can deal with.
- Let the doctor know. If your body can’t take that amount it can do more damage then good. I ended up in getting a heart test because they did that to me.
- I use to get headaches a tad bit higher heart rate on metformin but i kept trying to let it work then finally enough was enough and the doctor pulled me off my body couldnt handle it at all so im on victoza now.
- But my heart rate isnt high, and my heart isnt racing, just pounding very very hard, an that combined with feeling dizzy just makes me very uncomfortable. might not even be related to metformin, but idk. I’ve been to a doctors about it already and my heart seems fine, no issues there, bloodwork done also seems fine. o.e i wish there was an app or something that would tell me if what i felt was good or bad lol. at this point anxiety has also reared its ugly head. :<
- If i get to worked up i scare myself into a panic attack maybe turn on some classical music and relax a bit how long u been on metformin
- Less than a week.
- Have you tested your blood pressure while you’re feeling like this? Pounding heart and headaches could be indicative of it being very high.
- Blood preassure is fine as well.
- That’s really good. If your BP is ok try not to get too anxious that it’s anything serious. I know that’s much easier said than done! Ps I noticed from your profile you’re Danish? I’m in Aarhus. X
Has anyone taken metformin through out their pregnancy?
- I took it until my second trimester. Then I was told I could stop.
- My OB told me to stop after 12 weeks.
- I’ve been taking it the whole way so far. I’ll be 12 weeks Friday. Not sure yet after that.
- My ob had me stop around 12 weeks
- Yes the hole time. With both pregnancys.
- Me too.
- What dosage?
- 500mg twice a day. But the l got GD and by the end of my pregnancy l was at 2000mg twice a day.
- Whole time
- I’m about to start Clomid but my gyn has already told me I’ll be on it the whole time
- Whole time with all my 3 pregnancies.
- Did metformin have any side effect on you or baby.
- I was told to stop when I was about 7 weeks I think.
- I have stopped after the first tri with both but if successful in conceiving a third time, I will ask if I can stay on. I gained soooo much weight while off of it both during pregnancy but more so while breastfeeding and off it
- My doctor told me to stop at 20 weeks… Anxious to see if I pass my glucose test in a few weeks without it.
- Metformin only for diabetes type 1.
- Not only buy it is most commonly known for diabetes.
- Lots of people with pcos have insulin resistance which is pre-prediabetes. With insulin resistance your body doesn’t use the insulin made by your pancreas properly. So your pancreas keeps making insulin to bring your sugar levels down which causes excess hormones. Metformin helps your body use insulin the way it’s supposed to cutting down on the amount of sugars in your body and helping to balance out the hormones.
- I did until they had to put me on insulin for the last 3 months due to my sugar levels being too high.
- Yep. Whole time.
- I did.
- Yes everything was fine it’s safe to use in pregnancy xx
- Yes. Helps prevent miscarriage for PCOS women.
- I don’t think that’s actually true, I’ve been on metformin for years and have had 5 losses around the same time in my pregnancies
- Sorry for your losses.
- The whole time and my baby is doing great.
I’m starting metformin! They said I’ll feel sick for a week but the positive side effects…I can’t complain with those! I need more energy. I want to be thin again.
- Make sure you dont take it with any carbs…
- What happens if I do?
- Major stomach trouble as it doesn’t absorb well with carbs.
- Don’t go anywhere that you won’t be close to restroom 🚽 that you feel comfortable really going in,runs isn’t the word you literally feel like you took like 5 laxatives at 1st & the smell of it isn’t pleasant at all,that was my initial experience at least…
- Have you been tested for insulin issues. If not I wouldn’t take it. Taking it and not needing it can lead to stroke or lactic acidosis which are both potentially fatal. It’s NOT guaranteed to help you lose weight even if you get the insulin under control.
- I was on it for years and it didn’t help me at all, made me constantly sick. Worst experience ever. I hope it works for you though.
- I didn’t have any physical side effects are all… however I don’t eat any carbs at all..maybe that’s why..
- Sadly my liver and kidney levels aren’t good enough to take it.. i get tested in another month.
Does anyone do keto diet while taking metformin strictly for PCOS, not diabetes? My friend has done the keto diet for years and says that I’m probably just experiencing what they call the “Atkins Flu” but I keep on getting that low blood sugar shaky feeling, just wondering if this is a side effect of the metformin and keto mixing or ?
- I wonder the same, I’m on metformin for pcos only, i am not insulin resistant and don’t have high blood sugar levels ever!
- All the times I’ve trying going low carb I get sick and shaky To the point that I end up eating carbs again. I’ve yet to conquer this. Grrr. Its so frustrating.
- I’m on metformin for PCOS, slight insulin resistance, blood sugar & pressure is great, and am doing keto. I honestly think you might need to eat more girl! Like even a cup of baby spinach or brocolli added on to make sure you’re full & what I do is I take my metformin mid-meal to make sure I don’t get any side effects.
- I don’t snack, just 3 main meals, but I will admit that I have a little bit of fruit with each meal (a few raspberries, a slice of pear/apple) to keep me sane.
- Ok, just started yesterday, I probably should have brought more snacks to work. I had a few teaspoons of pb and that helped me not go into full blown low blood sugar feeling. Today I had a boiled egg, a thing that I found a recipe for called Eggies ( 8 eggs scrambled, cheese, bell peppers bacon and you bake them in the oven in a muffin tin) a whole can of tuna with avocado and sour cream and then about 2 hours after that I got that horrible feeling ate the pb and just ate some cheese just now. I’m hoping it’ll get better. I just didn’t know if the metformin wasn’t a good idea to mix with the keto but sounds like you are going it successfully so I’m just going to keep on pushing through and go get me some nuts to snack on too.
- That sounds like a blood sugar drop! Snacking is actually not the best for PCOS, because it makes your blood sugar freak out constantly. I feel soo much better if I have 3 large meals each day, take my metformin at each meal, and let me body remain balanced in between (only drink water or herbal tea in between meals) & then your allowing your body to fast in between meals!
- Ok thank you!!! I know that I want to cut out the sugar and bread from my diet but I don’t know how to do it I’m just trying to start somewhere and I’m better with a plan or directions to follow 🙂 I’m not a big soda drinker so the tons of water for me is not a problem I’m generally consuming at least 100 oz a day if not more. I was wondering about herbal teas because I like those as well. I will try to eat more food at my meals and if I’m not weighing it down with carbs then
- It shouldn’t be TOO hard to do… maybe? lol
- I’m a serial snacker (used to be) and it’s working so well for me! I just eat more veg, brocolli, spinach, kale with my meals and hot herbal tea keeps me satisfied inbetween!
- i am a sweet-a-holic! I have cut back on that a lot but since then I’ve been craving bread, pasta, pizza is the worse and doesn’t help that Pizza Hut here has a 5.00 buffet on Tuesday nights!!!! Since I’m also TTC I figured no time like the present to get going on this!!! Thank you for your help!
- What is ttc? You could make a pizza omelette for dinner with cheese and pepperoni!
- I would personally ask this question in the keto group. There are many women in the keto group Im in that have pcos and know a loooot about keto.
- Cool!!! Can you add me? I’m not a member of any groups like that.
- I’m on metformin and I get soooo crazy sick on keto…anxiety, shakes, etc. i tried everything and I just can’t do it. I made it 2 weeks but I felt like death so I added more green veggies and might add berries. Why does it happen!?!?
- Oh no!!! I’m hoping that my body will adjust. I was feeling like poo earlier and I just got finished eating my baked chicken drumstick with a big serving of salad and I feel back to normal (besides wanting something sweet!) so maybe that’s the key? Idk?
- Please check with your drs on this. I did a low carb diet years back with good results but made sure to eat high enough carbs to not be doing the keto diet because I was told it is unsafe… Maybe I was told that because I was on metformin at the time, I’m not sure, but please check with your drs
- I upped my carbs. I think it might be bc of my metformin..I like metformin though, and I’m not ready to stop it so I’ll eat more veggies 😊
So today i went to see the doctor and he prescribed me Metformin 500 mg twice daily. It is to help lose weight. My question is does it help at all with ovulation? Or what are other things it helps with?
- Depends on your body. It might help with ovulation it might not. I was prescribed met for my insulin resistance not just to help me lose weight even though it has help with weight lose.
- It helps some people lose weight, it helps some people ovulate. But it definitely helps with insulin resistance.
- How long were you on met before it started changing your appetite and weight loss?
- I just started today.
- Ah. I have been on it for almost a month. I guess I haven’t noticed a difference yet. Maybe soon I will though!
- Maybe it just takes some time. Do you expierence stomach pains by any chance?
- Yes sometimes. Not much. I am on the extended release!
- I lost 11lbs on it but found it worked better for me when I was on 2000mg a day was on 5 months and I finally ovulated and now 23 weeks and 4 days pregnant with a little girl I didn’t ovulate before it deffo helped me
- It’s for insulin.. nothing else.. but if you get your insulin under control it MIGHT help other issues. It’s not helped anything but my sugar so..
- It doesn’t necessarily help with weight loss,I have been on it for 10+ years and have been overweight the majority of those years. I have always ovulated with PCOS so not sure if it helps with that or not, it’s mainly used for insulin resistance. I know for me losing weight by healthy eating/exercise helped me the most. I lost 90# with diet and exercise and was able to reverse pre-diabetes, high blood pressure among other things.
- That’s awesome Heather. What did you do to lose the weight?
- How do you get passed being on metformin 2000 mg and the side effects? I am fine on 1500 mg, but 2000 is hard 🙁
- I was on 2000mg a day and yes hard but I got thro it I just kept hoping for a baby and I was talking to some one on a group they were all saying once u get to 2000mg a day they have fallen pregnant to I persevered with it
- Thank you, it gives me hope, 🙂 my main side effect is the frequent trips to the wc would the slow release be as effective as the normal one?
- Well it worked as I’m 23 weeks pregnant with a girl but yes I did need to go loo alot but after a while I was ok and the tummy cramps went after a while it’s just waiting for your body to get use to it then it’s ok.
- Brilliant 🙂 thank you so much 🙂
- It helps. PCOS is like a domino effect on your body. If you start fixing the root of the issue (insulin resistance) everything else will fall back into place. Metformin definitely helped me lost weight and get a regular cycle. My son is two and we are trying again 🙂
- Unless you have insulin resistance it won’t do much for you. It’s really scary that doctors think metformin is for weight loss or help with pcos. The only way it will help with either of those things is if your issue is your insulin levels. My doctor tried to put me on metformin even though I’m not insulin resistant. I tried it bc I was desperate. It never made a difference.
- It’s how I got pregnant twice.
- My a1c is down. 3 and I’m ovulating again (read crazy periods) but no noticeable weight loss.